I love this time of year! December is starting and my favorite holiday is approaching! With my holiday shopping complete (I started early because of my high risk pregnancy) I am preparing the dinner menu for Christmas! Each year my mom makes a delicious sweet potato pie and I remember as a little girl helping my mom bake and prepare the other foods in the kitchen.
Sweet potato pie is absolutely delicious!! The smooth texture in every bite served with a GIANT dallop of whipped cream is the perfect dessert after a hearty Christmas meal! You and your family will enjoy it!!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Bake time – 1 hour
- 5 medium – large sweet potatoes
- 16 oz evaporated cooking milk
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin spice (I love this spice because it has my cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger – don’t have to buy them all separate)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed golden brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 deep dish pie crust (For this recipe I use Pet Ritz brand – feel free to use your favorite pie crust or recipe) or 3 regular non-deep dish pie crust
Peel, slice or cut up your sweet potatoes and then boil until they are very soft and tender. I let mine boil for about 2 hours or more to prevent a lumpy pie filling. You want pie filling smooth.
Drain your sweet potatoes and pour into your mixing bowl. Add all your ingredients except for the two eggs. Mix well. Taste your filling and see if you want it sweeter or if you want to add more spices. Then add your egg and mix well.
The amount of filling for me is about four cups to divide amongst the two pie shells. Pour into your pie shell.
I bake my pies by placing them both on a large cookie sheet. For me this helps my pies bake evenly and thoroughly.
Bake for one hour and your crust should be golden brown as well! You can gently shake your cookie sheet to make sure pie filling is firm and doesn’t jiggle. If it jiggles let it continue to bake but check frequently.
Let your pies sit before cutting and serving with whipped cream. ENJOY!!